Monday, June 4, 2007

Latino USA - A Cartoon History



Last night, I went to a Town Meeting held by my Congressman in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California. The HOT topic? Immigration - illegal, legal, problems, solutions.

I was born and raised in New England. When I went to school and studied American History, I got the idea from my text books and teachers that, there was NO ONE living in California until the Gold Rush. Then,.... it was like a miracle and the people living on the East Coast discovered this huge and fabulous UNPOPULATED area.

Flash forward .... now I live in Southern California and WOW, there is a lot of controversy about immigration. Southern California kind of seems a bit like living in Mexico. There are animosities. What am I missing?

I am missing the Latino USA History. Oh dear! How am I ever going to wrap my wits around this huge subject? There is so much to know. Where to start?

I suggest that you start with "Latino USA - A Cartoon History" by Ilan Stavans and illustrated by Lalo Alcaraz.

Reading this book has altered my point of view and broadened my understanding. It has helped me to understand previously confusing encounters in my life.

This books is sometimes confusing and incomplete. BUT.... it does give me someplace to start. It lets me look at history from the Latino point of view.... something I have never done.

I highly suggest that anyone that lives in Southern California or New York or Florida read this book. I just gently suggest it to the rest of you.

It's a quick read... it's cartoons, for goodness sakes.

No comments: